Friday, November 20, 2009

English at work is harmful? Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/SEAsia/Story/STIStory_455979.html

http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/SEAsia/Story/STIStory_455979.html

Not sure what to say, I think there's pros and cons. In a way, yes we should be proud of our own mother tongue like others too.

I remember this one time when I went to Belgium for a school trip and desperately needed to go to the ladies. My friends and I stopped by a restaurant and asked them where the public toilet was in English. We were totally ignored, because of two possible reasons: i) this person wanted us to speak his language and ii) he didn't understand a word of English. Lucky my friend knew a bit of Dutch and asked in her worst Dutch where we can find the toilet.

Bear in mind, we still need English to communicate to the outside world and without English as the intermediary, imagine the hassle having to learn their language everytime you need to make one phone call to the foreign country.

My point here, we should always be proud of our root, and language but not to the extent that will ruin opportunities. In other words, don't be 'bodoh sombong' as the Malay will put it.

Diana Abdul Molok @ TRS

No comments: