Friday, October 16, 2009

What can the public transport do for Malaysian?

My office building is a few blocks away from KL Sentral. I think I mentioned this before right? Now if you walk to the outside of KL Sentral you'll probably see what I see - a small sticker that implies using public transport can reduce the risk of accident. Or so and so, can't remember the exact words. Do you agree with this?


Well, in some ways it is true, given that if the drivers are not screwed up in the head. You've heard right, bus accidents caused by sleepy drivers? Or careless drivers? So it isn't 100% true, but at a very small percentage, yes. However I'd prefer that I am in my own car, at my own fault if anything were to happen to me.


That's besides the point. Now, if they're trying so hard to get most people on public transport, then the system gotta be improved. I don't take the train everyday, only now and then when I have to be at the office. Since parking is quite difficicult at where I work, I decided that it is the best option. From observation, I noticed that the train was never on time. The Komuter, that is. It sucks having to wake up so early to catch the train and in the end I am left waiting for the delayed train.

The result of a delayed train is human traffic. The car gets crowded, it's impossible to get in and you're asked to wait for another train. Easy for some they don't start work 8.30 in the morning. The crowd is so inconsiderate, most refuse to move inside and insisted on standing near the entrance. Sometimes you have to give people a nudge, or scream on top of your voice to ask for people to move inside or at least give you ways to go in. Not only that, those waiting to go in also refused to give ways for those coming out.

Another result of the crowd? I witnessed another weakness of travelling with the Komuter today. A pervert was behind me waiting to go in and basically pressing his body behind me. I tried to understand the situation with THAT many people in KL Sentral, maybe he was pushed by others. I got in, moved inside and the guy was on my left, now pressing his body, well, his man parts on an Indian girl. One hand on her butt as if he was holding on trying not too fall, he was completely molesting the girl. She get s uncomfortable but didn't dare say anything to the old pervert. But she did squeeze herself further in to get away from him. I was his next victim. While we were being pushed because some people needed to go out, I felt his hand on my ass. I turned to look and he moved his hand. Then I felt another hand on my left waist and it was his too. I felt it was unfair to scream, it was probably just my feeling. So I took my handbag and nudged him with it, lifted one foot and stepped on his. Feeling satisfied, I gave him a warning look and moved further.

At Segambut station, the crowd worsen. More passengers, but the train didn't get bigger. *Grin. Imagine the crowd from a delayed train. After a while, the door closed and I heard people scream "Owh no. He didn't make it to the door (Alamak, dia tak sempat keluar...)". Apparently some guy was stuck, trying to get to the exit to get off at Segambut station. But he didn't make it in time because of the crowd. Poor guy, he'll have to stop at the next station and make his way back.

My point is, despite these known problems, are THEY doing anything about it? The KTM? The Government or Not? Increase number of train maybe? Even if I have to pay RM2 instead of the normal RM1.4 everyday I'll be satisfied should the train schedule becomes regular and not delayed. How are you suppose to stop yourself from driving then to reduce risk of accident or help reduce traffic congestion? This is only the Komuter I'm talking about. Of course the LRT is more reliable. But the buses have sort of the sampe problem. What action is being taken while I'm writing this? How many people gets home frustrated from similar situation? Trust me you can't get to all over Kuala Lumpur yet with the public transport because it is too darn irritating.

Any ideas on how to be heard and impovise the situation?

Diana Abdul Molok @ TRS

No comments: